Monday, May 28, 2012

NO DRAFT, NO WAR, Just Peace

NO DRAFT, NO WAR, Just Peace

One of my uncles, a submariner,
another, a bomber waist-gunner,
another, an OSS assassin in Poland,
another, a mountain ski-trooper
killed in the Italian alps; his widow,
a WAVE, married to an Army cook,
none of them ever marked me for war
except my father, rejected by the army:
for wearing glasses, for being married,
for having a child (me), incredulous that
I wouldn’t accept the Vietnam War draft:
“You’re a citizen! You have to!” He'd never
learn I beat the army draft by checking-off
“covert homosexual" (hidden in its long list of
debilities) during my pre-induction physical. 

How can we deflate war's delusions?
No draft. No war. Just Peace.

(USA Memorial Day 2012, Santa Clara CA)v9
appeared on The New Verse News http://www.newversenews.blogspot.com
for Wed. 30 MAY 12

British WW1 soldier-poets saw war was horrific for the troops & delusional for the homefront. It is again. It always was.

No comments: